Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Older blog moved over from Myspace page


This week seems to be nostalgia music week. Nothing recorded before 1979 sounds any good to me. I go through spells like this.

What was your first introduction to music? Not the rinky tinky stuff that you saw on TV. Music that blew your developing mind and left a permanent imprint. I know exactly what mine was.

It was a home recorded 8-track tape. For those born after 1975, 8-track tapes looked like this.




They were essentially tape loops inside of a plastic cartridge. Every time the tape hit the splice point, the playing head of the machine moved. It made a distinctive "THWOK" sound. I still hear that sound in my head whenever I hear a song that I owned on 8 track tape.

My cousin Bruce sent me an 8 track that he had recorded two albums on. Bruce was my hero. The coolest guy that I had ever seen in my ten years of existence. He was five years older than me. I wanted to be him. He had the thick white belt with the three prongs that only the cool kids had. (Remember, I'm referring to the 70's here.) He had white shoes, like Billy "White Shoes" Johnson from the Houston Oilers. He already had a decent Foghat mustache. My *%^^&*& idol.

The two albums he recorded and sent me were Sweet-Desolation Boulevard and Aerosmith-Rocks.

This is the Sweet. Total glammy image, pop metal sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKrCZFUB32Y

This is Aerosmith when they were the best band in America. Kudos to them for embracing the sober lifestyle. Curses on them for the drivel that they have been producing since then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAVENQe7suo

I listened to both of these albums today. Only they are CD's. And they sounded just as good as they did 32 years ago.

But I miss the "THWOK."

1 comment:

EE said...

LOL! I remember 8 tracks, but don't remember ever owning one.
I think all of my problems must stem from this...
If my parents had only bought me the 8 track, I would be a well-adjusted & emotionally healthy member of our society:o